Saturday, September 6, 2008

Daily Journals

Yesterday morning I gave the children no writing prompt for their journals. It was a free write or go back (go back to an old entry and add) day. There were some really good entries and I gave anyone who wanted to share theirs time to stand up and read in front of the class. Joel (pronounced Ho-el because he is Hispanic) wanted to share his. He can't hardly read or write. I had no clue what it said, but he sure did. He stood up bold and strong and read his few sentences. "I have 8 people in my family. There are 5 boys and 2 girls. I love my family. We have fun. But my mom and dad like to say that they got me and my brother in the dumpster because we are not the same color." We all laughed and I said, "That's a joke, huh Joel. They didn't really get you in the dumpster." He laughed back and said, "Yes, just because we look different." It was quite funny. They weren't adopted or anything, it's just some of the kids are darker than the others. Joel and his brother are dark and some of their siblings are very light. It is kinda weird. I wonder if that is like having the milk man as your father.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...