Saturday, November 8, 2008

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!!!!





When I was a kid, we used to all pack in the car and drive over to Thrifty Drug and Discount (Thrify's as we called it) and get an ice cream cone. Anywhere we lived in the LA area, we had a Thrifty's and they had this awesome ice cream counter with at least 20 flavors. When I was little, I loved the Rainbow Sherbet. Then as I grew older I enjoyed the Cookies and Creme, but then when we were allowed 2 scoops, I usually got Chocolate Malted Krunch and Mint n Chip (Mom always sent us in and that was her signature combo as well, but she always added the request, ". . . in a cup with a spoon.") When I was only 6 and we lived in Agoura, I remember a single scoop being only 10 or 15 cents and as time passed, the highest I remember the single scoop was about 70 cents. Rite Aid bought out Thrifty's before I graduated high school, but they kept the ice cream counter and still serve it.
Tonight I was eating a bowl of ice cream and wishing that the Rite Aid here had an ice cream counter of Thrifty's ice cream, but it is all just a piece of post WW2 California nostalgia that is going the way of the dime store and the soda fountain.


Check out this video of an awesome old ad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S679-gvdGqQ

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...